Thursday, November 4, 2010
Fiction packet 3
Fiction packet 3 had highs and lows. The low parts were the the stories from The Singing Fish by Peter Markus. I did not understand really what he was talking about. In the beginning of the story "When it Rains it Rains A River" I thought he was writing about independence because the brothers/boys were leaving their mothers and going out into the rain by themselves. The the story changes to them eating mud and making Girl who has girls in her eyes I did not understand what that was meaning. The stories made no sense to me. Some high points included the story called "Death of the Right Fielder" this was the first story in the packet that I liked. It was quick, to the point, and made sense. It was also sad that it took his follow players so long to go and check on him, I would think that after the first ball did not get returned then you would check it out but they waited til a couple of balls disappeared and all the while he was back there dead. I always like how the author Stuart Dybek describes the infield and outfield. "The infield demands communication- the constant, reassuring chatter of team play. But he was remote, clearly an outfielder(the temptation is to say outsider)." The next story I liked was entitled "August 25, 1983" this story was about a man who meets himself at a later date. They talk about what the future holds for the younger man and then the older man dies by a suicide. I like how the younger man does not want to believe this and he says that he will remember this dream and change the future. The old man just looks at him and knows he won't be able to. I don't know why I liked this story I can't really explain it I just enjoyed reading it. Who has never thought about the future and wished that they could know what was going to happen, I know I have, and if my future self could come back and tell me somethings that would be awsome. Although I hope it would be better news then the younger man gets in this story. The last story in the packet entitled "The Fifth Story" was cool because it started four stories all with the same sentence, "I was complain in about the cockroaches." And each story explores a new feeling this man as.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
great response
ReplyDelete