Wednesday, September 29, 2010
More on Poems
Poetry, the art of using language to express yourself. And they other people either get or they don't. For me I am in the not getting in category. I have a hard time pulling meaning from a poem, unless I'm reading poems by Langston Hughes. He has become my favorite writer. He using not only words, but rhymes and sound. We I read his first poem from our packet, entitled "Dream Boogie" I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it. I love that the poem sounds like it was wrote as a song, how he puts in all together in a upbeat way. When I read his poems I could actually understand what he was talking about. When I read "Parade" I wanted to stand up and walk along side the people. I felt like I was transported back to that moment in time. "Marching...Marching...Marching...noon till night." It is a powerful poem that draws its readers in. Now I'm also an education major so when I read "Children's Rhymes" I wanted to cry for that child. "What don't bug them white kids sure bugs me. we knows everybody ain't free." No child should ever have to feel that way. Another example is "What's written down for white folks ain't for us a-tall:Liberty and Justice-Huh-For All." Also when reading his poems his use of words like the a-tall again transport you back to the time when he was writing this. I would love to hear a recording of him reading his poems.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment